Fork me on GitHub

Wikimedia IRC logs browser - #wikimedia-tech

Start date
End date

Displaying 177 items:

2018-01-24 01:13:41 <drewmutt> Hey gang, I'm not terribly familiar with the phab/release system, where does this one lie at the moment?
2018-01-24 01:13:54 <drewmutt> It's making the new source editor unusable for me :(
2018-01-24 01:15:37 <MatmaRex> drewmutt: we were hoping that it would be fixed when we fixed the subtask. if it's still broken for you, please comment so on the task :(
2018-01-24 01:16:02 <MatmaRex> (i don't think we've re-tested it yet)
2018-01-24 01:17:25 <drewmutt> Okie, thanks for the quick response! Fwiw, it seems it's related to bolding pushing the line to where there's some disagreement between if a word should remain on that line or drop.
2018-01-24 08:48:31 <Urbanecm> Hi, if somebody present here is responsible for outreachdashboard, it is down (502 Bad Gateway). Does somebody know why? Thanks in advance
2018-01-24 09:53:55 <p858snake> Urbanecm: #wikimedia-cloud is the channel your looking for
2018-01-24 11:20:57 <ShakespeareFan00>
2018-01-24 11:21:06 <ShakespeareFan00> Where's the whtiespace coming from?
2018-01-24 15:30:48 <Lucas_WMDE> Technical Advice IRC meeting starting in 30 minutes in channel #wikimedia-tech, hosts: Amir1 and Lucas_WMDE – all questions welcome, more infos:
2018-01-24 15:52:56 <Nudin> Technical Advice IRC meeting starting in 10 minutes in channel #wikimedia-tech, hosts: @amir1 & @Lucas_WMDE - all questions welcome, more infos:
2018-01-24 15:53:00 <Adotchar> :)
2018-01-24 15:55:45 <Dysklyver> can I talk about user-rights in the tech meeting?
2018-01-24 15:55:54 <Dysklyver> specifically making new ones
2018-01-24 15:56:29 <Adotchar> Dysklyver: what wiki?
2018-01-24 15:56:40 <Adotchar> Or on your own
2018-01-24 15:56:54 <Dysklyver> En wikipedia
2018-01-24 15:57:04 <Dysklyver> I have a bunch on my own
2018-01-24 15:58:16 <Dysklyver> I want to know why adding a new user-right is billed as "hard" and "taking lots of dev time", when you can add one to a standard MW build with half a dozen lines of code...
2018-01-24 16:00:54 <addshore> \o
2018-01-24 16:00:56 <Lucas_WMDE> alright, I think we can start with the Technical Advice IRC Meeting! Welcome everyone :)
2018-01-24 16:01:00 <addshore> Hello!
2018-01-24 16:01:04 <Dysklyver> hi
2018-01-24 16:01:14 <Amir1> o/
2018-01-24 16:01:35 <Lucas_WMDE> I’ll just drop a link to the board for dev questions that we have since a few weeks ago:
2018-01-24 16:02:50 <Nudin> I think we also have already one question by <Dysklyver>?
2018-01-24 16:03:00 <Lucas_WMDE> also, reminder that the deadline for applying for scholarships for the Hackathon 2018 is January 30th:
2018-01-24 16:03:02 <Dysklyver> So for the benefit of the records, I will repeat my question in the meeting, one sec
2018-01-24 16:03:24 <Dysklyver> how difficult would it be to add a new useright to wikipedia?
2018-01-24 16:04:07 <Amir1> Dysklyver: In technical terms, it's very easy, you need to make a patch against operations/mediawiki-config
2018-01-24 16:04:23 <Dysklyver> the useright would allow editors to move a draft to article space, which would otherwise only be allowed for admins
2018-01-24 16:04:34 <Amir1>
2018-01-24 16:04:36 <Dysklyver> would that make it harder?
2018-01-24 16:05:35 <Dysklyver> (Also bear in mind that I have tested this on a standard MW, this is just to see how it could be added to wikipedia)
2018-01-24 16:05:37 <Adotchar> Dysklyver: anyone can move Rights from draft to article space on en-wiki
2018-01-24 16:05:42 <Amir1> It can become complex because you are moving between two different namespaces and not inside a namespace
2018-01-24 16:05:44 <Adotchar> I mean move pages
2018-01-24 16:06:05 <Dysklyver> Adotchar, yes this would change that
2018-01-24 16:06:21 <Lucas_WMDE> I would guess the hard part would be the discussions around it…
2018-01-24 16:06:24 <Amir1> Dysklyver: If you already done it, it's very easy
2018-01-24 16:06:54 <Adotchar> Lucas_WMDE: Yeah. I’d oppose it on the basis everyone would make articles straight to main space and skip the AfC submission process.
2018-01-24 16:07:00 <Amir1> Dysklyver:
2018-01-24 16:07:25 <Amir1> This is the place you need to make a patch
2018-01-24 16:07:37 <Dysklyver> ok
2018-01-24 16:07:53 <Amir1> but overall, I agree, this needs community consensus before moving to technical side
2018-01-24 16:07:54 <Lucas_WMDE> (warning, that’s a huge file :) )
2018-01-24 16:08:02 <Dysklyver> so from a technical viewpoint, this is very easy to implement?
2018-01-24 16:08:25 <Lucas_WMDE> “a web page is slowing down your browser…” just fyi :)
2018-01-24 16:09:06 <Amir1> Dysklyver: yes
2018-01-24 16:09:17 <Dysklyver> ok thanks
2018-01-24 16:10:14 <pintoch> is there any news about the new search index for wikidata? any idea when it is going to be rolled out?
2018-01-24 16:10:43 <pintoch> (not sure this is the right meeting to ask that actually)
2018-01-24 16:11:51 <Amir1> pintoch: this is the right place, at the moment, the elastic backend for search has been rolled out in Wikidata (it was rolled out in the Wikidata's birthday)
2018-01-24 16:12:05 <Amir1> but there is an ongoing process to improve the index
2018-01-24 16:12:39 <Amir1> I don't know the details of that but SMalyshev is the person is working on it
2018-01-24 16:14:56 <pintoch> okay! I was referring to
2018-01-24 16:15:20 <pintoch> it looks like this experimental one is still much better than the production one
2018-01-24 16:15:38 <Lucas_WMDE> I’m not sure if this wiki is still in use
2018-01-24 16:15:50 <Lucas_WMDE> Special:Search on Wikidata seems to be using Cirrus at least
2018-01-24 16:16:58 <Amir1> It has been since the begging
2018-01-24 16:17:14 <Amir1> *beginning
2018-01-24 16:25:54 <pintoch> oh I have a question for Lucas_WMDE actually. Are distinct value constraints meant to be enforced in references?
2018-01-24 16:26:19 <Lucas_WMDE> pintoch: not sure about “meant to”… but we do check them there, yes
2018-01-24 16:26:23 <pintoch> see for instance the references of which are flagged
2018-01-24 16:26:45 <pintoch> I have been using ids in references like this and thought it was fine
2018-01-24 16:27:07 <Lucas_WMDE> hm, I’m not sure how to interpret that reference tbh
2018-01-24 16:27:33 <pintoch> the idea is just to say "that relationship is stated in this GRID record"
2018-01-24 16:27:35 <Lucas_WMDE> shouldn’t that be “stated in: GRID” or something like that?
2018-01-24 16:27:55 <pintoch> the issue with that is that it is less specific, and harder to verify
2018-01-24 16:27:59 <Lucas_WMDE> but anyways, that’s not my place to judge :)
2018-01-24 16:28:11 <Lucas_WMDE> if the distinct values constraint should not be checked on references, then you can specify that
2018-01-24 16:28:17 <Lucas_WMDE> with the brand new “constraint scope” parameter
2018-01-24 16:28:26 <pintoch> amazing \o/
2018-01-24 16:28:28 <Lucas_WMDE> you’d say that this constraint should only be checked on the main value (and perhaps on qualifiers)
2018-01-24 16:28:31 <Lucas_WMDE> and then it would be ignored on references
2018-01-24 16:28:39 <Lucas_WMDE> I just need to check if support for that is already deployed or not…
2018-01-24 16:28:54 <Lucas_WMDE> should be deployed, yes
2018-01-24 16:28:58 <pintoch> cool, let me try
2018-01-24 16:31:28 <Lucas_WMDE> > constraint scope is not a valid qualifier for property constraint
2018-01-24 16:31:31 <Lucas_WMDE> oops :D
2018-01-24 16:31:35 <Lucas_WMDE> I just noticed that
2018-01-24 16:32:16 <pintoch> haha :)
2018-01-24 16:32:21 <Lucas_WMDE> fixed :)
2018-01-24 16:33:04 <pintoch> so, unless a constraint scope is defined, the distinct values constraint is applied everywhere
2018-01-24 16:33:10 <Lucas_WMDE> yes
2018-01-24 16:33:27 <Lucas_WMDE> but it only looks inside the same scope – having the same value in a qualifier and a reference is not a violation
2018-01-24 16:33:29 <pintoch> but so, if multiple references use an ID like this one in various references, this will not be flagged
2018-01-24 16:34:05 <pintoch> I mean if the multiple references are on the same item, sorry
2018-01-24 16:34:13 <Lucas_WMDE> I’m not sure, actually, let me see
2018-01-24 16:34:41 <Lucas_WMDE> okay, yes, other uses on the same entity are not a violation
2018-01-24 16:34:50 <pintoch> example:
2018-01-24 16:36:16 <pintoch> okay - anyway now that we have the constraint scope parameter, I just need to start a discussion on Project chat about this sort of references
2018-01-24 16:36:27 <Lucas_WMDE> sounds good :)
2018-01-24 16:36:32 <pintoch> I believe all ids should have "constraint scope: main snak"
2018-01-24 16:36:39 <Lucas_WMDE> I’m not sure if this behavior for the distinct values constraint is the best, either
2018-01-24 16:36:48 <Lucas_WMDE> perhaps it should be changed
2018-01-24 16:37:17 <Lucas_WMDE> we have some other constraint types which are by default checked only on the main statement
2018-01-24 16:37:30 <Lucas_WMDE> and where you have to opt-in to have them checked elsewhere
2018-01-24 16:37:35 <Lucas_WMDE> “type”, for example
2018-01-24 16:37:44 <Lucas_WMDE> perhaps that would make sense for “distinct values” as well…
2018-01-24 16:39:47 <d3r1ck_> Hey everyone!
2018-01-24 16:40:06 <Amir1> Hey :)
2018-01-24 16:40:22 <Lucas_WMDE> Hi!
2018-01-24 16:42:11 <d3r1ck_> I got this patch I'm working on but stuck somewhere
2018-01-24 16:42:25 <d3r1ck_>
2018-01-24 16:42:43 <d3r1ck_> I'm a little confused on how to get the new names added in the .mailmap file
2018-01-24 16:43:13 <d3r1ck_> The issue I'm facing is, when I look at .mailmap, I see canonical names mapped to different email instances
2018-01-24 16:43:27 <d3r1ck_> I've not seen different carnonical names mapped to same email address
2018-01-24 16:43:50 <d3r1ck_> Can someone clarify me please?
2018-01-24 16:44:05 <Lucas_WMDE> so you have some commits with canonical email addresses but names that need to be mapped?
2018-01-24 16:44:38 <Lucas_WMDE> in that case AFAIK 'canonical name <canonical@email.example>' in the .mailmap should be enough
2018-01-24 16:45:35 <d3r1ck_> Lucas_WMDE: Yeah, I'm having something like this
2018-01-24 16:45:56 <d3r1ck_> Pppery <>
2018-01-24 16:46:09 <d3r1ck_> pppery <>
2018-01-24 16:46:16 <d3r1ck_> Is that correct to be in the .mailmap file?
2018-01-24 16:46:26 <Lucas_WMDE> well, one of those should be in the mailmap file
2018-01-24 16:46:27 <d3r1ck_> Those are 2 different names that map to the same email
2018-01-24 16:46:30 <Lucas_WMDE> I don’t know which one :)
2018-01-24 16:46:41 <d3r1ck_> Yeah, that's where my confusion is
2018-01-24 16:46:43 <Lucas_WMDE> but then one of the names would be mapped to the other one
2018-01-24 16:46:52 <d3r1ck_> Which one exactly will be in .mailmap
2018-01-24 16:47:34 <d3r1ck_> Lucas_WMDE: Looking at that patch, @Umh left some comments
2018-01-24 16:47:44 <d3r1ck_> I didn't really understand the comments TBH
2018-01-24 16:49:36 <Lucas_WMDE> if I understand it correctly, Umherirrender is saying that these entries from the git log should not be added to the CREDITS file
2018-01-24 16:49:47 <Lucas_WMDE> instead, the .mailmap file should be updated so that the names don’t appear in the git log anymore
2018-01-24 16:49:55 <Lucas_WMDE> (instead, the fixed form of the name is used)
2018-01-24 16:50:27 <Amir1> and the only thing you need to do is to edit .mailmap and add the added name
2018-01-24 16:50:43 <Lucas_WMDE> I’m not sure if you’re familiar with the .mailmap format – documentation is at
2018-01-24 16:50:56 <Lucas_WMDE> specifically, the “John Developer” part of the first example is the same situation as here
2018-01-24 16:50:59 <Amir1> so for example for Pppery add it with capital P
2018-01-24 16:51:21 <Lucas_WMDE> actually, if “pppery” with lowercase p already exists in the CREDITS file, I guess it would be better to keep that form
2018-01-24 16:51:26 <Lucas_WMDE> so that the CREDITS entry doesn’t change
2018-01-24 16:51:53 <Amir1> yes
2018-01-24 16:52:22 <Lucas_WMDE> unless pppery prefers the uppercase form, I guess :)
2018-01-24 16:53:04 <d3r1ck_> Lucas_WMDE: That makes sense, very clear now! :)
2018-01-24 16:53:09 <d3r1ck_> Amir1: Thank you too :)
2018-01-24 16:53:24 <Lucas_WMDE> alright, great :)
2018-01-24 16:53:26 <d3r1ck_> I'll just do a quick PS and see if this solves the issue (as you explained)
2018-01-24 16:53:41 <d3r1ck_> Lucas_WMDE: Will you be willing to idle while I do it and check back here? :)
2018-01-24 16:53:47 <Lucas_WMDE> sure :)
2018-01-24 16:58:26 <d3r1ck_> Lucas_WMDE: Ahhh, forgot to ask something. What about the comment Not same as next line?
2018-01-24 16:58:40 <d3r1ck_> Normally .mailmap is used when there are duplicate users right?
2018-01-24 16:58:45 <Lucas_WMDE> yes
2018-01-24 16:58:49 <d3r1ck_> But in this case, users are different
2018-01-24 16:58:55 <d3r1ck_> So I didn't also get that comment
2018-01-24 16:59:06 <Lucas_WMDE> I think this just means that the line looks similar to the next one, but is not the same, so it shouldn’t use mailmap
2018-01-24 16:59:10 <Amir1> d3r1ck_: it was just to assure others we don't need to check if they are duplicate
2018-01-24 16:59:11 <Lucas_WMDE> just as a note to the next reviewer
2018-01-24 16:59:20 <Amir1> you don't need to do anything
2018-01-24 16:59:29 <d3r1ck_> Perfect!
2018-01-24 16:59:36 <d3r1ck_> Amir1, Lucas_WMDE, thanks :)
2018-01-24 16:59:47 <d3r1ck_> Let me not waste so much time and submit a quick patch
2018-01-24 17:00:00 <d3r1ck_> Sorry to be late for the meeting. Facing some issues with ZNC
2018-01-24 17:01:51 <d3r1ck_> Patch set is up!
2018-01-24 17:02:01 <d3r1ck_>
2018-01-24 17:02:12 <d3r1ck_> Just to make sure I'm doing the correct thing :)
2018-01-24 17:03:07 <d3r1ck_> Lucas_WMDE, Amir1, ^
2018-01-24 17:03:24 <Amir1> Checking
2018-01-24 17:03:29 <Lucas_WMDE> ooh, I see some familiar names in that list! :D
2018-01-24 17:04:32 <d3r1ck_> Is it possible for the updateCredits.php script to do this automatically? Or does it already use the .mailmap? I see it seems this data in .mailmap needs to be added manually?
2018-01-24 17:04:37 <d3r1ck_> Lucas_WMDE: Okay! :D
2018-01-24 17:05:06 <Lucas_WMDE> d3r1ck_: it already uses the mailmap… the remaining part, keeping the mailmap up to date, needs to be done manually
2018-01-24 17:05:30 <d3r1ck_> Alright! Understood
2018-01-24 17:12:22 <d3r1ck_> Amir1: At least Jenkins is happy :)
2018-01-24 17:12:47 <Amir1> that's good :P
2018-01-24 17:15:56 <d3r1ck_> :)
2018-01-24 17:16:16 <d3r1ck_> Lucas_WMDE, Amir1, thanks so much for the clarification. I'm grateful :)
2018-01-24 17:16:32 <Amir1> you are welcome
2018-01-24 17:16:41 <Lucas_WMDE> you’re welcome!
2018-01-24 17:16:42 <Amir1> feel free to reach out to us at any time
2018-01-24 17:17:15 <d3r1ck_> Okay Amir1. I love this IRC meetings, they are really a catalyst in clarifying problems :)
2018-01-24 17:17:19 <Lucas_WMDE> and I just noticed that we’re already 15 minutes past the end of the meeting :D
2018-01-24 17:17:23 <d3r1ck_> *these
2018-01-24 17:17:26 <Lucas_WMDE> any final questions? :)
2018-01-24 17:17:35 <d3r1ck_> Lucas_WMDE: Yes, you are correct. I don't have any questions for now :)
2018-01-24 17:18:52 <Lucas_WMDE> okay, then we’re done! thank you everyone :)
2018-01-24 22:09:39 <Stryn> not going to create a task on phab yet, but new Firefox 58 sometimes won't finish loading (a page is shown correctly but it still says loading), it happens just randomly sometimes. I noticed this already last year when I used Firefox 58 as beta. Firefox 57 worked fine.

This page is generated from SQL logs, you can also download static txt files from here